The Great American Story (GAS), sponsored by the Park Rapids Lakes Area Arts Council (PRLAAC) celebrates oral storytellers.
A panel of judges will rank entries based on:
- Literary merit and strength of delivery
- Creativity and imagination, emotional impact, strong beginning, dramatic arc and resolution
Entries/Entrants must adhere to the following:
- 1st and 2nd place winners the past two years not eligible to enter
- Must be no longer than 10 minutes
- Must be told and recorded by entrant and may be uploaded in compressed digital audio file format using digital submission form at: http://www.thegreatamericanstory.org/submit or recorded on CD or flash drive and mailed to PRLAAC, P.O. Box 702, Park Rapids, MN 56470
- Storyteller’s name, address, telephone number and email address must be included. A photo and short biography will be requested from finalists to be used for promotion.
- A $10 non-refundable entry fee must accompany submissions. Checks payable to PRLAAC (above) or via PayPal on website.
- Stories will not be censored, but must meet FCC pre-10 P.M. broadcast guidelines
Important dates to remember:
- Entries must be submitted or postmarked by June 30
- Judges will announce 4 winners by August 15
- Public Performance at Armory Square, Park Rapids on September 22
Celebratory event on September 22
- 4 winning entrants must There will be no per diem or travel allowance for participants. However, one night’s lodging will be provided.
- Audience will vote on storytellers. The two semi-finalists will be given a prompt and then tell a 10-minute extemporaneous story. Again, audience will vote on winner.
- 1st place – $1,000, 2nd place – $500, 3rd and 4th place – $250 each
Submission of a story for this event conveys non-exclusive non-commercial license and distribution rights of the entry and performance to PRLAAC sponsor of the Great American Story. GAS and PRLAAC reserve the right to revise or amend these rules.
SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED THANK YOU FOR SUBMITTING!